We are at prime location for day hikes as well as longer hikes/ treks. Below are some of the hikes that you can do, but the possibilities are endless and so, if you don't see what you are looking for just ask us.
Click above "Sample DAY HIKES" to see day hikes that you can do right from The Lazy Dog Inn and which are located in the Huascaran National Park (Quebrada Llaca, Quebrada Cojup, Laguna Churup, Quebrada Quilcayhuanca, Quebrada Shallap). Just walk out the door and take a casual stroll down a country road or a vigorous hike into a steep walled canyon to see the giant glaciated peaks of the Cordillera Blanca. The day hikes are perfect for all age groups and fitness levels. You can also run kilometers (miles) of trails without traffic at high altitude.
The following are sample longer hikes/treks that you can do in the area either on your own or as part of guided tour. Please note that we are not a trekking agency and cannot arrange any logistics for you. However, we can arrange taxi rides to the start of your trailhead.
1. Llanganuco Lakes/ Laguna 69 (full day hike or 1-2 night backpacking trek): You can do Laguna 69 in a day or you can do a 1-2 day backpacking trek (Laguna 69 combined with Pisco basecamp). From the LDI we can arrange a round-trip taxi service for you, or you can join the many trekking agency day tours that leave to Huaraz. You can also do this trip on your own by taking combis (public buses).
2. Pastoruri Glacier (full day trip with little hiking): From the LDI we can arrange a round-trip taxi service for you, or you can join the many trekking agency day tours that leave from Huaraz. If you are driving your own car, note that this is a popular side drive on your way back to Lima.
3. Olleros to Chavin (2-3 day backpacking trek): From the LDI we can arrange a round-trip taxi service for you or one-way service. Once in Chavin you can easily get a taxi back to Huaraz or take a public bus.
4. Santa Cruz Trek (3-4 day backpacking trek): From the LDI we can arrange a round-trip taxi service for you to the start of the trailhead or to Huaraz to join your organized guided tour. You can also do this trek on your own by taking combis (public buses) and renting or bringing your own gear.
5. Alpamayo Circuit or Huayhuash trek (7-14 day backpacking trek): Acclamatize at the LDI for your Alpamayo or Huayhuah trek. Many guests have enjoyed day hikes near the inn as part of their acclamatization routine. We are at higher elevation than Huaraz and our day hikes go even higher, making us an ideal step towards preparing for your long treks. After your trek, enjoy coming back to the inn and being fed full breakfast and 3 course meals as well as relaxing your muscles in our wood-burning sauna.